Cat owners often misunderstand the importance of specially formulated cat food for older cats and why older cats need specific types of food.
Cats are considered old when they reach 8 to 12 years of age. As a responsible cat owner you should take care of the health and overall wellbeing of your cat when it enters adult age. As the cat ages it requires more care and attention because it is vulnerable to diseases and infections. Therefore it is imperative to take your cat to a vet regularly.
What To Feed an Older Cat?
Choosing a healthy good diet for an older cat can be intimidating especially when your cat is too finicky and your local pet store is stocked up with hundreds of brands to choose from. So the question is often asked what are the Best Cat Foods For Older Cats?
Older cats are more prone to kidney failures and thyroid problems so it is crucial that you feed them food low in phosphorus, lower in salt and rich in protein to maintain the pH levels of their bodies. Vets specifically recommend giving a diet low in calories so the cats don’t get overweight.
Homemade Cat Food For Older Cats
A multitude of commercial cat supplies fill the shelves of local stores but the best food is homemade food; not only for humans but for pets too. You can prepare delicious cat food for your older friend at home easily.
- Get raw and fresh chicken hearts or kidneys from the store
- Dice them up and simmer until they are tender
- Add desired seasoning, however cats don’t need any fancy sauces. Homemade food will provide them with essential nutrients and the broth will keep them hydrated
Preparing homemade cat food serves the purpose of providing a wholesome amount of nutrients to older cats without compromising on the taste.
When cats reach their adult age their teeth become crooked and the development of their jaws weaken, therefore homemade cat food with raw chicken or liver is the best food for the cats with bad teeth.
Oftentimes older cats suffer from stomachaches and abdominal pains that make their stomach sensitive. In this case store bought canned cat food might not suit your cat very well and they may even vomit. So just another reason that homemade cat food for older cats is the best for cats with a sensitive stomach and for older cats that vomit.
10 Best Cat Food For Older Cats
With older cats you need to be careful with whatever food you choose. As cats get older their health deteriorates and this might cause severe problems for you and your pet. Be absolutely certain that what you give to your cat is 100% suited for older cats so they don’t develop diseases!
Here is the list of 10 best cat foods for older cats.
- Supports kidney health in adult cats
- Helps tempt your feline friend to eat when she isn’t feeling her best
- Made with a carefully curated antioxidant complex, fatty acids, a low phosphorus level and targeted protein levels that helps promote healthy kidney function. This is one of the Best Cat Food For Older Cats!
- Calorie-rich formula helps compensate for weaker appetites by making sure your kitty is getting enough nutrients in her smaller portions
- Made with real salmon and tuna, Purina Pro Plan is a grain-free formula for exceptional taste and balanced nutrition
- Specially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of cats 11-years-old and up. This is also one of the Best Cat Food For Older Cats!
- Provides 25 essential vitamins and minerals, plus taurine—a beneficial amino acid for your cat’s overall health and well-being
- Helps to encourage healthy skin and a beautiful, shiny coat
- Essential nutrients support a strong immune system for your senior cat
- 100% grain-free senior food with protein-rich chicken as the first ingredient to support healthy muscle growth and development
- Contains essential vitamins, minerals, and taurine to support nose-to-tail health. This is one of the Best Cat Food For Older Cats!
- Helps promote digestive and urinary health with essential moisture from real broth and cranberries
- Good source of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids sourced from flaxseeds to help promote a healthy skin and coat
- Contains zero grains, by-product meals, corn, wheat, or soy so it’s great for kitties with food sensitivities or allergies
- Designed to help cats face the first signs of aging and promotes vitality
- Contains a precise balance of vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, EPA and DHA
- L.I.P. digestive science innovation uses protein selected for its high digestibility, which helps reduce stool odor
- Adapted phosphorous levels help to support renal function, as kidney decline is common in senior cats
- Square, soft kibble is easily broken in the cat’s mouth to help protect sensitive teeth and gums
- It features 70% animal protein and fats from chicken and turkey for the nutrients to support healthy muscles and energy
- Formulated to provide a complete and balanced diet for senior cats, with targeted blend of vitamins, minerals and taurine
- Packed with fiber-rich produce, antioxidants for immune health and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to support a healthy skin and lustrous fur
- Great for both indoor and outdoor cats and is made with locally-sourced ingredients from trusted farms
- Zero grains, gluten, by-product meals, wheat, corn, soy, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives and contains yucca schidigera to promote gentle digestion.
- Tasty treats made with just 1 ingredient – human grade chicken breast
- Freeze drying process removes only water and preservess nutrients
- Ideal for cats with health issues or kitties who are overweight, diabetic, who have allergies or gastrointestinal disorders or who are on a restricted diet
- No GMOs and added preservatives
- 100% grain-free senior recipe features high-protein chicken as the first ingredient
- Helps maintain strong muscles and energy
- Supports healthy digestion with natural fiber and probiotics blend
- Helps maintain an ideal weight with balanced calories from proteins and fats
- Packed with omegas, amino acids and LifeSource Bits
- Promotes a healthy skin and coat with omega-3 and 6 fatty acids
- Promotes vision and heart health with essential taurine
- A grain and gluten-free formula; Free from any corn, wheat, soy or fillers
- Free of any rendered meats or meat by-products
- Supports an active cat’s lifestyle
- Added Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids give a soft and shiny coat
- Aids in good digestive health
- Features real chicken as the very first ingredient for the high-quality protein
- Helps support heart health in aging paw-tners, while antioxidants encourage healthy immunity
- Contains non-GMO ingredients sourced from Nutro’s trusted suppliers and farmers
- Made without corn, wheat, soy protein, chicken by-product meal or artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
- Crafted with vitamins, minerals and other nutrients
- Supports your cat’s kidney health with clinically tested nutrition to improve and lengthen quality of life
- This irresistible food makes it easier for you to bond with your pet with gently cooked, bite-sized chunks of real chicken and natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals
- Protects vital kidney and heart function while boosting vitality and energy
- Supports appetite and eating enjoyment
- Aids in sustaining a healthy body condition
We all know that Cats are low maintenance pets. However when they reach their adult age things can get worse if not planned properly. When a cat turns 8 years or older their body systems collapse and a single mistake can take away their lives. Therefore it is important to consult an expert vet every 6 months for your feline friend to enjoy the best time of its life.
A healthy and balanced diet rich in vitamins and proteins is vital for older cats. Your vet can recommend some brands for your cat depending upon its health and condition. As a responsible cat owner you should take your cat’s health and diet into consideration. You can prepare homemade cat food for older cats as mentioned above or you can provide them with some high quality canned dry cat food designed and intended for older mature cats.
Whatever you decide, always discuss it with the vet before giving to the cat.