Dog Calming treats are often given to ease stress and anxiety in dogs. Anxiety in dogs is as real as human anxiety and needs to be treated in good time. Whether you adopt a new dog and bring him into his new space or introduce the existing dog with a new pal, you might notice a strange behavior and that is when you know you’re dealing with canine anxiety.
However, it is difficult to identify canine anxiety as they behave differently depending upon the attitude and the nature of dogs. Some dogs become aggressive while others act a bit shy and timid. Either way, anxiety can be alarming for both; the owner and the pet.
Causes Of Anxiety In Dogs
According to veterinarians, anxiety can be caused by several different reasons including age factors, hormonal changes, and puppy socialization issues. However, the main causes of anxiety in dogs can be divided into three broad categories:
Fear Related Anxiety
Fear related anxiety is caused by loud sounds, strange people, unknown surroundings, thunder and lightenings or weird patterns.
Research shows that separation anxiety affects a total of 14 percent of dogs. It happens when dogs are unable to find comfort without their family or when they are left alone.
History of abandonment, having multiple owners, or being rehomed are also fears developed as separation anxiety.
Age-related anxiety affects dogs of older ages and can be associated with cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS), which results in memory loss and severe anxiety in dogs.
Symptoms of Anxiety in Dogs
Anxiety can be present in dogs from an early age but it can sometimes appear out of nowhere. Keep an eye on your dog’s behavior especially when the conditions are unfavorable for him.
Dogs don’t show clear symptoms of anxiety whatsoever, although, it can be seen in their behavior. Some of the most common symptoms of anxiety in dogs are:
- Destructive Chewing
- Excessive barking
- Urinating and Defecating in the house
15 Best Dog Calming Treats
From medical prescriptions to spending more time with your dog, several treatments are available. However, dog calming treats are non-medicinal remedy you can offer your canine to alleviate the symptoms.
Here is a list of 15 best dog calming treats to soothe your dog’s anxiety.
- Made with nourishing vegetables, real chicken, chamomile and lavender for a delicious taste
- 100% rawhide-free and digestible for a healthy substitute to rawhide treats
- Gummy texture scrapes the teeth clean during both the up and down motion of the jaw for twice the scraping action
- Natural blend of nutrients and plants helps dogs feel calm and comfortable
- Supports stress-free relaxation with Suntheanine that stimulates calming brain waves in dogs
- Contains special blend of plant-based ingredients, like organic Hemp Seed Oil and Chamomile, to ease anxiety and stress
- Soft chews support a more balanced and relaxed behavior
- Made with no wheat, corn or gluten and is free from artificial colors, flavors, BHA and BHT
- Added probiotics promote aids in good digestion
- Protects against the effects of environmental stress and support a healthy immune system
- Wheat-free chews help relax your dog
- Added ginger for sensitive stomachs making it great for traveling—whether it be a visit to the vet or flying to another country
- Made for dogs over 12 weeks of age
- Great way to calm your pal’s nerves during a storm, fireworks or grooming
- Can be given as soft chews or added in dog food
- Formulated to help reduce stress, hyperactivity and anxiety with natural herbal ingredients
- Made without drugs, sedatives or drowsy side effects
- Helps keep your pet calm during stressful situations
- Has zero GMOs, wheat, corn, soy or preservatives
- Crafted with a natural chicken flavor
- Made with organic and all-natural ingredients
- Helps nervous and anxious pets feel calmer and comfortable
- Works to prevent behavior such as barking, chewing, licking, salivating
- Ideal for travel, during storms or any other time, your canine gets restless
- Controls the stress levels in your furry friend
- Dogs love sticks. Zesty Paws dental stick naturally helps to de-stress your anxious best bud
- Helps to stimulate brain waves for prime relaxation, without making your furry friend drowsy
- Holistic ingredients help your canine companion settle into a relaxed state
- Your furry friend will chew his way to a fresher smile
- Helps promote a calming effect and help support balanced behaviors
- Works to calm your furry friend naturally, without causing drowsiness
- Ideal for times of high-stress like thunderstorms or trips to the vet
- Naturally delicious and veterinary formulated for the health of your pet
- Supports cognitive functions and manage everyday stress
- Chicken flavored supplement designed to help your pup feel relaxed during anxious times
- Contains powerful nutrients with hemp oil, chamomile and suntheanine to promote relaxation
- Helps fight anxiety and stress from thunderstorms, fireworks, car rides or new environments
- Helps with aggressive behaviour
- No grain, corn or soy for those paw-tners with sensitivities
- Helps promote a sense of calm, with no sedating effect
- Promotes rest the natural way, without making pups feel dizzy
- Chamomile and ginger provide a soothing effect for sensitive tummies
- Give them in times of potentially stressful situations for your pup, like during grooming or travel, and thunderstorms
- Made with delicious chicken liver, so they’re easy to give
- Made from all-natural ingredients.
- Stress relief for those dogs that get anxious.
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety, upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, shivers and shakes.
- Chamomile serves as an all-natural antispasmodic and sedative.
- Also treats calm gastrointestinal issues.
- Made from 100% all-natural ingredients including brown rice and powerful calming herbs like chamomile and lavender
- Contains no wheat, gluten, corn, soy or animal by-products so they’re fully digestible and easy on your dog’s tummy
- Helps remove plaque and tartar as your dog chews to maintain good dental health between brushings
- It has Colostrum Calming Complex Biopepide Blend, L-Thenine and Vitamin B to promote a calming effect
- Will not cause fatigue or a change in your dog’s personality, making it the perfect way to address stressful situations without giving your dog drugs or sedatives
- Calming takes effect in as little as 20 minutes after ingesting and lasts for 4-6 hours for an all-day result
- Recommended for travel, boarding, trips to the veterinarian, fireworks, thunderstorms or any other situations that may cause your pet stress or anxiety
- Gourmet single-ingredient dried fillets made from wild Pacific salmon
- Full of omega-3 fatty acids and an excellent source of protein
- 100% natural treats—free of additives, preservatives, artificial colors or flavoring
- Smart snack choice for your canine companion
Dogs get anxiety quite often, especially when you expose them to a new environment or friend. Therefore, they show signs and symptoms of anxiety and stress such as frequent urination, aggressive and destructive chewing, diarrhoea, shivering, panting and pacing.
However, the symptoms are minor, they can get major if not treated in good time. For this, vets recommend several treatments, but prescribing dog calming treats stands the test of time as they are non-medicinal treatments and made from herbal products.
You can choose the best dog calming treats from the list provided above to alleviate the signs and symptoms of stress and anxiety in your canine.