Just like you cannot use your shampoo on your baby, your dog needs a shampoo specifically formulated for his skin and coat type. However, the term “best dog shampoo” is highly subjective as there is no one size fits all. We have compiled the Top 10 Rated Best Dog Shampoo that you can try on your dog!
Keep it mind when it comes to searching for the right dog shampoo it may be misleading if you purchase the first thing you see. Take the time to study your dog’s health and the kind of shampoo that suits his needs.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Shampoo for your Dog
Some people cannot decide on a single product and therefore end up bulk buying of the shampoos. In result, half of the products go unused.
In order to try a new shampoo on your pooch, always buy sample products to see if it suits well with the dog’s skin. This way you’ll likely save yourself some money and time.
Here are some tips to help you with choosing the best dog shampoo for your pooch.
Determine your Dog’s Skin Type
Foremost, determine your dog’s skin type. As a dog shampoo influences the skin first, you need to make sure the shampoo you would use is suitable for your canine’s skin as the wrong shampoo can cause skin irritation.
- If your dog’s skin is flaky and dull. He has a dry skin type that needs a nourishing shampoo.
- The oily skin type is characterized by the excess oil accumulated on the skin’s surface and requires a shampoo to balance the pH levels of your dog’s skin
- If your dog’s skin is neither dry nor oily; it is considered as a normal skin type. In such a case, you can choose whatever you like
Look Out for an All-Natural Dog Shampoo
Go through the labels before buying anything and when it comes to grooming essentials such as dog shampoo, clippers, always double-check before you buy. That’s because the synthetic skin products cause severe irritation and sensitivity on the dog’s skin and might cause shedding.
If you find the ingredients of the shampoo fairly difficult to pronounce, leave it and look for an organic, all-natural product.
Dog Shampoo for Skin Conditions
Mostly dogs suffer from ticks and fleas throughout their lives. In this case, choose an all-natural specially formulated dog shampoo for fleas and ticks recommended by your vet.
Use it at least twice weekly and while shampooing the coat, keep it away from your dog’s eyes and mouth as it can be harmful.
Some dogs have skin conditions with extremely itchy, dry and flaky coat. Never misconceive such conditions as a dry skin type rather consult the vet as your dog might have developed a skin condition that needs attention.
If the skin is healthy but still dry and itchy, choose any shampoo that has aloe Vera in it or some other medicated soap or shampoo to treat the dryness.
Unscented Dog Shampoo
Avoid heavily scented dog shampoos as they always contain noticeable traces of harmful chemicals and might irritate your dog’s skin.
Choose any lightly scented dog shampoo so your pooch smells nice and the skin remains healthy.
Homemade Natural Dog Shampoo
Suppose you’ve tried every brand and shampoo type available in the market and it all went in vain. Your pooch continues to shed and itching got all worse, you can try homemade natural dog shampoo using all organic products to make the dog’s coat shiny, healthy and lustrous.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Castile soap
- Essential oil
- Vegetable glycerin
- Pour half cup of liquid castile soap in a clean, dry bottle
- Add quarter cup apple cider vinegar
- Pour one tablespoon of vegetable glycerin into the mixture
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil or almond oil and two tablespoons of water
- Stir the mixture well and add 2-3 drops of any essential oil of your choice
- Close the lid and shake it vigorously so the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- You can add Aloe Vera gel to prevent dog skin irritation
Following the aforementioned instructions and ingredients you can prepare an easy and 100% natural dog shampoo yourself which won’t be harsh on your dog’s skin and you can easily customize it according to your own preferences.
Top 10 Best Dog Shampoo
We all have seen various pet products on the market, with new products and brands emerging all over the place. Choosing the perfect brand and product for your dog is not just all about recommendation and word of mouth. It takes research and a veterinarians expert advice to find a dog shampoo suitable for your pooch.
We have listed the top 10 veterinarians choices for the best dog shampoo available:
- Counteracts the effects of the environment as well as flea products
- Novasome microvesicles deliver long lasting moisture factors to the hair shafts and epidermal layers
- Results in a healthy, lustrous coat that is cleaned and moisturized
- May be used prior to the application of Micro Pearls Advantage medicated shampoos
- Safe for use on dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens
- Designed to soothe dry and itchy skin keeping your dog health and happy
- Naturally occurring salicylic and tea tree oil work to eliminate flaking, dandruff, and scaling skin associated with seborrhea
- Formulated with oatmeal, papaya, and aloe vera to soothe skin while leaving your pup smelling fresh and clean
- Soap-free so it doesn’t interfere with any spot on flea or tick treatments, meaning you can bathe your pet routinely without worry
- This medicated shampoo works up a rich lather that quickly rinses clean, leaving your dog refreshed and snuggle-ready
- Veterinary-strength shampoo designed to ease the skin conditions associated with bacterial and fungal infections
- Helps soothe and treat ringworm, dermatitis, hot spots, irritations and itching on your furry friend
- Gently removes dirt, debris and excess lipids from hair coat to leave your furry friend clean
- Contains aloe, oatmeal, essential fatty acids and vitamin E to enrich and moisturize your paw-tner’s skin and coat
- Descales and degreases the hair coat without stripping it
- Hypoallergenic formula works to remove tough tangles and mats
- Controls static leaving the coat soft, lustrous and manageable
- Makes brushing your furry-friend a breeze
- Gentle enough for everyday use but strong enough to tackle the toughest of knots
- Pleasant and lasting cherry almond scent will leave your pup smelling as if he just left the spa
- Highly effective against bacterial, fungal and yeast infections plus itchy skin from allergies while creating a protective barrier
- Proven antimicrobial LP3 Enzyme System inhibits, splits and destroys the offending organisms while leaving healthy cells alone
- The addition of vitamin D3 helps to relieve surface irritations and hydrate the skin
- Uses only the mildest plant surfactants with no harsh detergents, steroids or petroleum by-products. Pure and gentle enough for puppies and kittens with a pleasant, mild fragrance
- Gentle and hypoallergenic
- Soap-free, non-stripping and non-drying formula
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients for maintaining skin hydration
- May benefit topical flea and tick products
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- Completely free of harmful ingredients like sulfates, parabens, silicone and mineral oil
- Creates a rich, creamy bubbly leather that helps promote a soft, shiny coat
- Hypoallergenic formula is paw-fect for pets with sensitive skin
- Each ingredient in this formula is graded by EWG as safe for use on pets’ skin. EWG is an American non-profit environment organization that rates products based on how safe their cosmetic ingredients are
- This shampoo is made with keratin proteins that are made to strengthen and repair your pet’s dry, lack-lustre coat
- Features silk amino acids and vitamins that add incredible shine and hydration
- Reduces shedding and removes unwanted odors with a chemical-free formula that’s gentle on skin yet powerful against dirt and grime
- Crafted with premium, high-quality ingredients that are worthy of your at-home usage or professional grooming needs
- This product can be diluted up to 16:1
- Lavender aromatherapy shampoo calms dogs and cats and relieves stress
- Oatmeal soothes itchy, dry and irritated skin to help relax pets even more
- Kiwi and essential vitamins moisturize the skin and coat, making it feel silky smooth
- Soap-free shampoo won’t affect or wash away flea treatments
- Use in combination with SPA Lavish Comfort Cologne for maximum effects
- Deodorizes and helps relieve fungal and bacterial skin infections such as dermatitis & pyoderma
- Dermatitis & pyoderma can be a result of allergies, hormonal disorders, weakened immune system, short coats or skin folds, trauma from grooming/scratching and fungal infections like ringworm
- Aloe Vera soothes the skin and helps speed healing of the affected area
- Shampoo twice weekly until skin conditions clear up, once they do you can shampoo once a week to prevent flare-ups
- The formula is 100% paraben-free
A Dog’s hair and coat are sensitive to harsh chemicals and other harmful substances. Therefore, you need to look at the minute details while making a purchase for your dog. For every dog skin type, there is a tailor made dog shampoo. However, you should always consult with your vet before making any choice.
The above listed products are dermatologically tested and approved, therefore you can go for any one them if your dog is graced with a healthy normal skin type.
Nevertheless, if you’re uncertain about the market products, you can always prepare DIY homemade natural dog shampoo as discussed in the article!